|Ardmore Round Tower|
Summon Wizard Tower
Magic User, Level 1
Duration: Until sunrise
Range: 500’ on ground under open sky
A wizard tower that has been placed under the “Bind Wizard Tower To Summoning” enchantment (which one exactly depending on the vagaries of cosmological fate) erupts from the ground 500’ away from the caster. At the next dawn, sunlight causes the tower and anything summoned with it to dissolve, returning whence it came. If someone who enters the tower writes up a session report describing their explorations, tribulations, and likely death and shares it with the OSR community and/or creator of the tower, they receive XP equal to 500 multiplied by the (lowest) character level intended for the tower.
Bind Wizard Tower To Summoning
Magic User, Level 5
The creator of a wizard tower writes it up as an adventure module and shares it with the OSR community. The tower then becomes summonable by the Summon Wizard Tower spell. Details of session reports from explorers of the tower via the Summon Wizard Tower spell may alter or add treasure or magic items to the tower in the creator’s world, and subsequent summonings.
Some pre-bound Wizard Towers ripe for the Summoning:
- Michael Prescott's The Sky-Blind Spire
- Telecanter's Alabaster Tower
- Andrew Harshman's Tower of the Time Wizard
- Jeff Call's Prisoners of the Gelatinous Dome
- John's Beneath the Windowless Tower
- Luka Rejec's Deep in the Purple Worm
- Skerples Roving Wheel, if you squint
- And of course, Tower of the Stargazer
- Also, Brendan S. reskinned the cabin from Death Frost Doom as a tower, but that would be a hell of a thing to summon up
- For some reason, when I started the post I thought this list would be even longer. There are a bunch of other wizard lab/sanctum/funhouse adventures that aren't technically towers, so do with that what you will. Feel free to link to more in the comments.